Sunday, August 25, 2013

Wednesday, August 21st

Wednesday, August 21st. Day 64

Today's miles = 19.5 Total CDT miles = 954.4

Monkey slept in this morning. It's usually me that doesn't want to get up. Not to say that I wanted to get up but I had an easier time getting up than usual. It took SO long to hang our food last night. Usually from start to finish it takes about 5 to 10 minutes depending on how well we throw. We first have to attach rope to a heavy rock and throw that rock over a branch that is far enough off the ground and far enough away from the base of the tree. This ensures that a bear won't be able to have a picnic with our food during the night. Then we attach our food bags to one end of the rope and pull up with the other. Then we tie the one end of the rope to another tree so the foods stays up there. Last night when we went to hang our food it was dark, there were no good rocks, and we couldn't throw very well. So, it took about an hour to hang the food. Baboon got so frustrated that he went into his tent and that was it. I didn't hear from him until morning. And when morning came he said he was still frustrated about last night.

The morning started with a climb up a pass. Then when we got to the top -so I thought- and it kept going up! It was uphill most of the day. I don't know how this is possible as I don't really ever recall saying that it was downhill most of the day. I know we have to climb up in elevation because we are approaching the Wind River Range.

Today it rained. Today I saw five moose, stood under three rainbows, saw 26 chipmunks, forded one river, and ate 2,670 calories.

I'm camped at Lake of the Woods tonight and can currently hear the pitter patter of the rain on the tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment