Sunday, August 25, 2013

Thursday, August 22nd

MThursday, August 22nd. Day 65

Today's miles = 20.6 Total CDT miles = 975

There was what I'm assuming was a moose playing around in the lake all last night so I was up even more than usual during the night. It seemed like it was having a lot of fun. It sounding like it was deliberately splashing in the shallow end of the lake. If I hadn't seen two moose (a momma and a baby) right before bed maybe I would have let my mind entertain the idea that it was a bear... luckily I saw them. I didn't get out of the tent to check it was a moose in the water but I told myself it was and after every time the splashing woke me up I was able to fall back asleep rather easily.

I woke up this morning just like the past few with a very upset stomach. I've been really nauseous and not wanting to eat. I of course force food down my face but I gag at every bite. I don't know if it's the same ole' food getting me down and perhaps if I switch up my breakfast it will be easier to eat or if it's just my stomach. I've started taking probiotics every morning now (thanks ma!) so hopefully they will help. By the time lunch comes I'm starving and want to eat everything in sight. Maybe I'm waking up so hungry that my stomach is angry at me for not eating a Snickers halfway through the night like I did on the other trials (once the food is hung at night it's not coming down until morning). Who knows...

Anyway, The morning was alright. It has been really chilly at night but by 9am the sun warms everything up and I'm back in just my skirt and long sleeve. I've liked it that it hasn't gotten too warm during the day for it to be uncomfortable. It's a little unnerving that it's already been getting so cold at night. Although, we have been at higher elevation than usual. Last night we camped at 9,500 feet!

By lunch time I was able to see the mountains I have to climb in the distance. They were underneath a brewing storm cloud. I decided to take lunch tucked in some trees by a stream before it started to rain. It wasn't long after lunch that the rain began and it was accompanied by huge rolls of thunder and actual thunderbolt shaped lightening strikes up on the peaks. It just so happened that I was about to go over Gunsight pass (10,500ft) right around this time. I had two choices - turn back or hurry up and get to the other side. Well, I didn't really hurry up but I did get to the other side. The other side of the pass was cow free! The cows on the North side of the pass were mean. My opinion of cows has changed since hiking this trail. Not that I ever particularly cared for cows to begin with but now I just think they're stupid and mean. You look into the eyes of a cow and you just see nothing back. Then they charge you! I don't like cows...but the little ones are cute; they're ok.

After the pass the trail was closed due to fire. We had to hike a detour around a mountain that had been on fire. The fire was mostly out now because of all the rain from the past few days but I was afraid all the lightening would start another one. There were two rivers to ford today. The second one was about 40-45 feet wide, although it was only knee deep so it felt kind of nice on my feet and sore legs.

Tonight I am stealth camped in the trees behind a campground. There are cars here and even privy's and picnic tables. I ate dinner at the table before finding a stealth spot behind all the sites for the night. I didn't want to pay 12 dollars to camp when I camp for free every night. I did not expect to come across a dirt road and a campground out here in the Winds but every now and then the trail offers a pleasant surprise. I'm hoping one of these car campers sees my tired and hungry face tomorrow morning and offers me coffee and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment