Friday, August 16, 2013

Thursday, August 15th.

Thursday, August 15th. Day 58

Today's miles = 22.1 Total CDT miles 912.9

Today was considerably better than yesterday. I still woke up late but I've almost given up on trying to wake up earlier. Trying to get myself out of my sleeping bag while it's still dark out is almost impossible! I was hiking around 8am or so. Last night I camped nestled in some trees along a ridge. I was going to hike a little farther yesterday but when we looked at the maps we realized that where we would end up was a meadow. Baboon has a fear of meadows and I have a fear of the bears that mosey around them at night. So, we camped along the ridge. A few miles into the hike this morning I heard Monkey screaming from behind me, "Baby bear. Baby bear cub!" I looked up the ridge to the left and all I saw was a little baby bear butt running up the side of the mountain. They are so cute you want to run up to it and pick it up to give it a big squeeze. After seeing the baby bear my eyes immediately starting scouting the ridges for mamma bear. All I could do was to hope that I didn't have myself positioned between baby bear and momma. I didn't and there was no trouble as baby bear appeared to be running to meet up with it's mother who was further up the mountain. The rest of the hike today was rather uneventful. There were a lot of ups, a lot of downs, and a lot of flat hiking today. Eat, sleep, hike. There are a few fires around the area. Once we crossed over one of the passes today we could see part of it burn. I looked at the maps immediately and saw that we were going in the other direction. All was well.

No comments:

Post a Comment