Monday, August 12, 2013

Sunday, August 11th

Sunday, August 11th. Day 54

Today's miles = 28.5 Total CDT miles = 823.5

I actually didn't mind getting up this morning. I had a picnic table to drink my coffee at and a bathroom with running water 50 yards away. I was hiking by 8am. The first 12 miles flew by. Originally today I had planned on hiking the 20 or so miles to the border of Yellowstone National Park but because of how quickly Baboon and I hiked the first part of the day we realized we could make it the 28.5 miles to the first camp spot in Yellowstone. You need permits to camp in Yellowstone so I called the office right from trail and got the OK over the phone to hike into the park and camp at Summit Lake tonight. At this time it was almost noon and we had 16.8 miles to the camp. We put on some music and HIKED!  We got to camp by 7pm. Flyboxer was here sitting by the lake eating his dinner and Dan came in while we were eating dinner. Dan is camped by us while Flyboxer is on the other side of the lake. This lake is the first source of water we have seen all day! It was wonderful to come across it.

Tomorrow I will be hiking 10 or so miles to Old Faithful and hopefully get to watch it erupt. I believe the permit for tomorrow's camp spot has us camping about 25 miles away from where we are tonight. I need to get up early tomorrow so I have time to hang out at Old Faithful village and get to camp before dark. Yellowstone is the land of the Grizzly and I will not hike at night here.

No comments:

Post a Comment