Sunday, October 13, 2013

Wednesday, October 2nd

Wednesday,  October 2nd. Day 106

Today's miles = 27 Total CDT miles = 1, 617.2

It was feezing this morning when I woke up.  Yet again everything including my tent was frozen. It took a bit of motivation to crawl out of my sleeping bag and get moving. Hot coffee usually helps with that a little. The morning was consumed by going over Tin Cup Pass. The pass was at over 12,000ft so it stayed fridged until I was on the other side of the pass heading down. I chose to take the car trail down the pass and into the valley where the historical town of St. Elmo was. It was a pretty neat place tucked away in the mountains. It was an old mining town back in the day.  I actually hung out there for a while despite how badly I wanted to get to a real town. St. Elmo didn't have anything there immediately useful for a thru hiker (no food,  shops, or warm beds) but it still was really interesting to walk around the old ghost town. I busted through the rest of the miles for today and got a ride into town by these two old men. One which his friend told me was a schizophrenic.  I laughed but he looked at me and said,  "No seriously, he IS a schizophrenic... but he's harmless". So anyway, the schizophrenic and his friend gave me a ride to Salida Colorado where I got a hotel room for the night and finally got warm for the first time in days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment