Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tuesday, September 17th

Tuesday, September 17th. Day 91

Today's miles = 31 Total CDT miles = 1,396.3

I woke up relatively early and began to hike. I wanted to make it to Grand Lake today. I got to pack my things this morning without the rain beating down on me and I knew then and there that my day was going to be OK. There was some elevation today for sure that took a toll on my energy level but I was motivated to make it to town. The trail in Colorado so far has reminded me of the Appalachian Trail a little. There are a lot of pine trees and it always smells like Christmas. The mountains are rounded and green and the trail is steep!! The difference is that Colorado has views! There was a climb today up to a pass that took me up to 12,000 feet. There is obviously none of that on the AT. After the pass the trail was almost all downhill into Grand Lake. I passed a sign about 8 miles from town that was welcoming me to Rocky Mountain National Park. I had John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High, Colorado" song stuck in my head the rest of the day. I made it to Grand Lake and spent some time exploring the tourist trap that it is before settling down for the night in the hotel there. I wanted to camp in town but there were no camp grounds. Inmgine that, in Rocky Mountain National Park there was no where to camp around town. I ate microwave food for dinner in the hotel. Much too tired to write anything more. I didn't even shower tonight. It will have to wait until morning.  The blog is suffering lately but the miles are not. Must sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment