Thursday, September 12, 2013

Saturday, September 7th.

Saturday, September 7th. Day 81
Today's miles = 19.3 Total CDT miles = 1,219.9
Baboon and I left the hotel around 11am attempting to catch the bus downtown to the post office. It was on our way to the bus stop that we realized the bus doesn't run on the weekend. It was also then that I realized the post office closes at noon on Saturday's. We were a few miles away and had to walk there before noon...we made it with time to spare. I needed to send ahead some gear so that I could carry the 8 1/2 liters (18.1 pounds) of water for this 50 mile waterless stretch. I sent ahead warm weather gear to Steamboat Springs Colorado, as we are in the desert. After the post office we headed over to Buck's Watering Hole for some lunch before heading out. Panama and Bethany met us there and we all procrastinated leaving town. Eventually, Baboon and I somehow found the motivation to leave and it was about 10 minutes later that it started raining. Aren't we suppose to be in the desert?? We hiked in the rain on the road (which is the CDT) for a while before a car heading the other direction asked us if we wanted a ride...back to town. I thought about it for a quick second before I remembered that staying in town won't get me to the Mexican border. So, I wiped the rain off my face, tried to steady myself in the strong winds, and continued to lug my pack and the 8 1/2 liters of water up the hill.
Eventually the rain stopped long enough to dry me out and immediately after I was dry I began to burn. I now have blisters on my arms from where I burned the other day. I called it a day around 7:30pm - a bit early but the the water I was carrying really took a toll on my already badly injured back. I set up the tent just in time to watch the lightening storm across the horizon. It stayed across the horizon for the remainder of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment