Thursday, September 12, 2013

Tuesday, September 10th

Tuesday, September 10th. Day 84

Today's miles = 17 Total CDT miles = 1,280.9

I woke up to the sound of rain hitting the cabin. The last thing I wanted to do was get up and head back out into this storm that has been going on for days. By 8:30 I was eating breakfast at the cafe with Baboon, Panama, and Bethany. By 10:30 I was on the side of the road hitching back to the trail. The first car to pull over was the sheriff. He asked us where we were going. We replied, "Bridger pass". He followed it up by saying that he wasn't going that far and that it was illegal to hitchhike in the state of Washington. Baboon and I replied that it was in fact legal as of July 1st. He said he would have to look into it and told us to be safe up in the mountains as the rain storm is suppose to continue for days. The next car to pull over was a man named Jerry who turned his car around to give us a ride to the pass despite his not heading that way. We threw our packs in the back of his truck and Baboon sat up front while I sat behind the seats curled up next to Princess. Princess was the sweetest of sweet dogs I've ever met. She was old and perhaps ill but she curled right up with me and nudged herself closer to me. She let me pet her and love on her the whole ride to the pass while looking at me with the sweetest face possible. I was sad to leave her when we got to the pass.

We started hiking by 11:15 or so. I wasn't very motivated to hike but the chilly weather definitely kept me moving. I still don't have all my warm weather gear that I sent ahead so I was a bit chilly. After Steamboat Springs I'll have it all back. What I do have to keep me warm is a hat my mother made for me and sent to Encampment. I was complaining that I cannot find a hat that is suitable for the trail and fits my head and hair. She made me a dreadlock tube out of wool (stays warm when wet) lined with fleece (blocks out the cold wind). It's the perfect trail hat and I can let my hair hang out of it or fold it under to turn it into a complete hat. I can't think of something better for the trail. Major points for mom!!...yet again. It began to storm a few hours into the hike and didn't stop all day. The trail was muddy, rocky, and uphill. A lot of the trail today was not a trail and there was just the occasional post or cairn to lead you in the right direction. With all the clouds and fog today they were a bit difficult to follow.

I am camped along the side of a car trail tonight. Setting up in this downpour was less than enjoyable and putting dry socks on in my tent was the highlight of my day (except for meeting Princess). I keep a pair of socks just for that occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment