Monday, September 23, 2013

Sunday, September 22nd

Sunday, Septmber 22nd. Day 96

Today's miles = 10.1 Total CDT miles = 1, 473.5

I woke up earlier than usual this morning. I had motivation to get started and hike over the pass, over a 13,300ft mountain peak, down the mountain to the highway, and in my friends car. My friend Honeybee (Dori) lives here in Colorado and has a little farm. Her recent husband and she hiked the AT the same year as I did and I had the pleasure of becoming friends with them. They have offered to pick Baboon and I up and let us stay with them on thier farm for a few days! So, that was all the motivation I needed today to get my ass out of my sleeping bag.

The climb to the pass wasn't horrible. It was on a car trail the whole way up. It was a beautiful sight from the top in that it was still early morning and the mountains were still waking up. Once I got to the pass it began to snow. I still had 1,500ft to climb to the peak and it continued to snow the entire way up the mountain, down the mountain, and until I got low enough in elevation for it to turn into rain. It then continued to rain almost the rest of the way down to the road.

Honeybee and her husband, Milkman (John) were there waiting for us just a few thruway exits over. Somewhere in the communication we had messed up our location but it didn't take them long to get to us. They pulled up and handed us sandwiches and beer! After a few moments we all piled in thier car and road to their farm. They set us up in the barn loft with couches, a ping pong table, a pool table, guitars, a key board, and a climbing wall.

Honeybee made a pasta packed with tons of fresh veggies and homemade sauce and we got to relax the night away. I also had my new phone shipped to her house so I had a new toy to play with. Minus the altitude sickness earlier in the day today was pretty stellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment