Thursday, July 18, 2013

Wednesday, July 17th.

Wednesday, July 17th. Day 29.

Today's miles = 22. Total CDT miles = 416.4

I woke up early today! I was hiking by 6am. The fact that it wasn't so cold this morning and the draw of town tonight got me up and moving despite the rain of last night. The whole day was on car trails. The first 12 miles were on dirt car trails and the last 10 were on a paved highway.

During the first 6 miles today I was walking along the car trail and a herd of sheep came around the corner followed by a herding dog. The sheep stopped upon seeing me and all looked up to stare at me. The dog in the rear came to the front to see what the delay was all about and turned around and began to lead the sheep away in the opposite direction. They all looked quite confused. Other than a plenty more sheep there wasn't much wildlife on trail today. It was too hot for anything to be out in the sun.

The hike was easy today. It was a gentle grade and on wide open car trails. It was pretty much my ideal hiking. But then again, it wasn't actually trail...

About 10 miles before town I came across a section that was being torn up by construction vehicles. There were cars lined up on the dirt roads and men in suits standing in the hot sun trying to look important while doing some sort of presentation. Baboon and I were joking that this spot was where the Target strip mall was going to go. Turns out that it was the Governor in the suit and he was talking about cleaning up the Superfund Site that we were walking through. The town of Anaconda up until 1980 was where all the copper that was mined up in Butte would be smelted. It polluted the area pretty badly and now the town is just a smoldering hell hole of bad water and sick people. There are more doctors in this town than anything else.

I rolled into town in the early afternoon and ran into Panama, Bethany, and the pups! It's been since Lincoln since I've seen them and the look like they are doing well. They decided to camp at the RV park as well so all of us set up our stuff  and braved a horrible wind, rain, and hail storm for about and hour. Then we went to "Suds and Pub" to do laundry and drink. Dinner followed shortly after. It rained more during the night. It was horrible to be in town paying for camping and getting rained on. I wish I had gotten a motel. Tomorrow night I'm not paying to stay in this town. I think I'll stealth camp down by the polluted river.

No comments:

Post a Comment