Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday, July 9th

Tuesday, July 9th. Day 21

Today's miles = 15 Total CDT miles = 295.5

I woke up around 7:30 this morning and got in one last shower before heading out for breakfast. I ate a banana and a Klondike bar before breakfast so I only ordered the two eggs, hashbrowns, and toast. After breakfast I headed back to the motel to meet up with Steve, a fellow thru hiker. He, Baboon, and I were all getting a ride back to the trail from the owner of the motel at 9:15. It was around 9:30 before we actually left, 10:00 before we got to trail, and 10:15 before we got hiking. I had a really bad morning as far as hiking and it took me a while to get up the first climb. Then the trail just kept going up. About a mile into the hike Monkey informed me that it looked like there were no water sources for another 12 miles. At this point all I had was a liter and a half and the trail was uphill, exposed, and sunny! And I hadn't drank much water in the morning before getting back on trail and already felt dehydrated. Its was a thirsty 12 miles. The trail today was all on the divide. You basically find the tallest mountain then figure your going up it the steepest way possible, then down it and up the next._ The water was 1/4th of a mile down a highway that the trail crossed at Flesher Pass. Once we got there Monkey volunteered to go get water if I watched and guarded his pack. He put all our water bottles and bags in a trash compactor bag and started walking down the highway. About 15 minutes later he came walking up the road hauling 10 liters of water in the bag thrown over his shoulder. We both cooked dinner right there on the side of the highway before doing the last few miles of the day. Its was a short day today but it was a really late start. I also didn't want to do too many miles today as it would screw up timing as far as getting into town on Friday.

I'm camped in a nice little spot tucked away in some dead trees. I tick checked myself before bed as I picked a lot of ticks off myself while hiking today. I hate ticks. Must sleep. Long day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment