Monday, July 8, 2013

Sunday, July 7th

Sunday, July 7th. Day 19

Today's miles 17. Total CDT miles = 280.5

I woke up this morning at 4:30am. I got up at almost 5. I cooked my mac and cheese dinner (that I didn't eat last night) for breakfast. It was too much food for breakfast even without having eaten dinner the night before. I was hiking by 6:20 this morning.

A few miles into the hike I realized that there was plenty of camping along the divide. You never know what the trail ahead is going to be like. I made the judgement call last night to camp somewhere safe where I knew there was good camping instead of risking getting on the spine of the divide and it being windy and without camping. I didn't want to risk having to night hike along steep trail in the dark in Grizzly country. Had I known there was camping I would have eaten dinner where I camped then continued on a few miles.

There was a lot of elevation change today just like yesterday. It makes for a rough morning when you also are low on food. I was a little worried about the hitch into town but there just happened to be a very kind couple out for a day hike that was parked down the mountain that gave me a ride in. They dropped me off right at the office of the motel I was planning on staying at.

I hand washed my clothes in a 5 gallon bucket at the motel and hung them up on a line to dry. Then I showered and waited for the sun to dry my clothes. I had to keep a close eye on my clothes because there is a resident doe that has been meandering around the parking lot of the motel here in Lincoln Montana.

I couldn't wait for my clothes to dry completely so I put them on wet and walked down to the grocery store to resupply. Monkey and I ordered a pizza and headed back to the room to lay in bed and eat. It was marvelous! I was so tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment