Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tuesday, July 16th.

Tuesday, July 16th. Day 28.

Today's miles = 23.4. Total CDT miles = 394.4

I slept in today. I didn't get up until 7:15. I didn't get on trail until around 8:40. The morning was slow but there were not too many uphills. The trail today and yesterday has been more rolling hills rather than steep and jagged mountains. Its almost like hiking in Oregon again.

About 7 miles into the day we stumbled across an elk that had been somewhat freshly killed and eaten. Its one leg had been broken along with a few of its ribs and it's stomach had been ripped open. I didn't want to hang out there very long. The flies were horrendous. So, I just keep hiking hoping that whatever got that elk was nice and full. Yet again, water was hard to locate today. I've taken to carrying more than I think I will need because I usually end up needing it. A lot of the water sources have not been reliable. There was a spring (that was amongst cow shit) that I sat by around 10 miles in and had lunch.

The second half of the day today went by more quickly than the morning did. The trail today was on a lot of ATV roads and car trails so the miles generally go a little faster. There were a few nice views today that also reminded me of Oregon or Appalachian Trail hiking; lots of green and smooth rolling mountains.

22 miles from here is Anaconda, MT. The trail takes you walking right into town. I believe the miles are mostly on car trails.  There is a campground with showers somewhere in the tiny town that I'm looking forward to being my camp spot for tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment