Thursday, November 7, 2013

Wednesday, November 6th

Wednesday, November 6th. Day 141

Today's miles = 15 Total CDT miles = 2,290

My water froze overnight again. My tent was covered with ice. It was one of those bone chilling nights that prevent you from getting any good sleep. I woke up kind of early anyway because I was excited about today. From where I was camped last night it was about 11 miles to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. I got to hike up to the caves and actually walk through them and check out all the structures built in them. The ancient Mogollon people lived in the caves and built different rooms within them. It was pretty cool to see. After the caves I walked down to see the pictographs drawn on some cliffs. Someone drew the same kind of little lizard that I found on the Oregon Trail!! It was said that the photographs could be 1500 years old.a

After I was done there (I got distracted dissecting an unknown object. It looked like an orange very hard tennis ball. It turned out to be some sort of squash...or at least it smelled like it) I made my way the 4 miles to Doc Campbell's Trading post (in the middle of nowhere) where my mother had sent me a resupply box. Doc Campbell's had homemade ice cream and a few snacks so I hung out there for a while before heading down to a "campground" just down the road. The campground isn't really a campground. It's an area where you can set up your tent and soak in the two natural hot springs that are next to the Gila river. Skinny dipping in the hot springs under the desert stars starring at the moon in the company of a beautiful man was a pretty amazing way to spend my evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment