Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tuesday, November 12th

Tuesday, November 12th. Day 147

Today's miles = 19 Total CDT miles = 2,428.5

I woke up very excited this morning. Not because I knew I was finishing the trail in two days but because I wanted Burger King breakfast. Today was the last Burger King breakfast I will probably eat for a very long time...it was a sad day. After breakfast I waited for the post office to open before heading out on trail. I wasn't on trail (the highway) until after noon. I knew I only had 35 miles left so I packed out a Subway sub and some brownies and that was just about all the food I brought. I walked along the highway for about 10 miles before anything interesting happened. Tom, the man we met at the hotsprings has a bus that he converted into a camper. As I was walking down the road I saw the bus pass me, slow down, and pull of to the side of the road. Tom got out and invited us in for some water and conversation. We sat in there for a while rehydrating and talking with our friend before finally getting the motivation to continue hiking. It was already 4pm and getting dark but I still had 10 miles to hike.

Being so close to the border there are Border Control cars everywhere. They mostly seem to know what we are doing and have been rather nice to us. They know we are finishing up an over 2,400 mile hike and have offered thier congratulations. Once it got dark they began to stop a lot more often to see if we were okay. I guess they are not really concerned about anyone heading toward Mexico because they have been nothing but plesant to us.

I night hiked for a while before I finally called it quits for the night. I'm camped on the side of the road...well away from the traffic. I'm expecting border control to come by at some point and see what we are doing. What I'm doing is making a veggie taco meat, mac and cheese, patato chip mixture to stuff into a tortilla.

Tomorrow I will be hiking the last 16 miles of the CDT and my Tripple Crown. Tomorrow this 3 year long 7,500 mile goal is complete. I guess I should try to get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment