Thursday, May 21, 2015

May 19th, 2015

Today's miles = 19.8
Total ADK miles = 224.2

I woke up excited this morning even though it had rained the entire night. A few times during the night it was really coming down. I stayed dry in the tent but I could hear all the toads jumping around in the piles of leaves next to my tent.  I didn't sleep well but I slept late. Because of the rain clouds the sun didn't wake me up until 7:45am. I packed up sort of quickly and hiked the one mile to the Piseco Post Office...which was closed and didnt open until 9:45am. I had 45 minutes to wait so I made a cup of coffee and loitered by the handicap ramp. I got my box and stuffed the two and a half days of food in my pack and hiked on the road down to the 'general store'. The store didn't have much but it had enough. AND I had them make me a veggie sandwich with yellow mustard! CHECK!

I left there around 11:30 and had some uneventful hiking. Some snowmobile, some road walks, and some bushwhacking. The snowmobile tracks were not the easiest to hike on. The ground was very bumpy and uneven. It was also sinking and muddy as hell. It was a little more slow moving than I would have hoped.

I am camped tonight on the side of a snowmobile track. 20ish miles to the truck parked in the middle of nowhere and about 21.5 miles until the end of the Trans ADK. I'm hoping to wake up early tomorrow and make it to the end before nightfall. Tonight may be my last night in the tent until the next trip. Meh...I'm ready for a shower and some real food. Who knows....maybe I'll celebrate with Pizza Hut pizza and breadsticks on the drive home.

Also, the below picture is how I deal with black flys.

No comments:

Post a Comment