Wednesday, May 20, 2015

May 16th, 2015

Today's miles = 18
Total ADK miles = 168.3

I slept pretty well last night in the bug net in the shelter by Tirrell Pond but I felt just as sick waking up as I had going to sleep. Today was certainly the most difficult day so far for me on the Trans ADK. The trail in the morning was mellow but my low energy and nauseous state was holding me back. I struggled through the entire morning in the mud for the first 5 or so miles. At that point the trial came out to a highway where I took a break and attempted to eat. I could barly get down a few bites of food so I moseyed down the trail some more until I came to a campground at Lake Durant. I immediately saw a spicket for water and rushed on over because I was excited I didn't have to filter water. I wish I had, however, because mountain water tastes SO much better than 'town' water. It wasn't for a few moments later that I saw a building with the words "woman's showers" on the side. Surly this couldn't be? Showers? They must be those awful coin opperated showers that only dispense cold water....but I had to go in and check, right? Not coin opperated and warm water! I have never been so happy. I was in that shower before I even could processes it was happening. Now, I had grabbed a handful of the terrible hand soap from the sinks to wash myself with but that of course was only for the illusion of cleanliness rather than actual. In any case, I felt like a new person exiting that shower...until the black flys swarmed! I could have never imagined the amount of black flys that exsisted in the world. Without my bug net for my face I'm pretty confident I would have lungs filled with them.

The trail was rather straightforward in the afternoon until it veered off of where we were suppose to be and took what looked like a very long reroute. We followed that reroute until it met back up with the trail. All the while I was suffering from unbelievable fatigue and weakness. The trail was mostly in a pine/birch forrest for most of the day and it was excessively humid out all day. It was a struggle to make it the 18 miles I did. The trail eventually met up with a dirt road that took me a few miles down and to my camp spot tonight. An actual bona fide camp spot - with a fire pit and a picnic table. Although, I couldn't use either. One because of the fire ban and the other because of the black fly swarms. Im glad to be sleepig in my tent again tonight and I'm glad to be laying here watching all the little shitters trying to get me but not able to. Oh, the little things. 

Oh yes, Monkey and I also took a break today in a new cedar privy to escape the flys...picture attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment