Saturday, May 16, 2015

May 12th, 2015

Today's miles = 17.2
Total ADK miles = 94.4

The rain had stopped sometime in the morning and it was enough for me to start my oatmeal and coffee. I didn't mind so much being in my tent even though everything I have is wet. There's a certain stillness about the forest after a good rain that I love and I got to sit there and smell the wet trees and earth and drink my coffee in relative silence (Except for the very chatty frogs). Right as I was about to step out of my tent all packed up it began to rain again. It rained all morning.

The first part of the trail today was suppose to be on a 'road'. The road turned out to be a completely flooded jeep track that the beavers had made thier home. There was no way to get through it except to go in. It some spots in was almost up to my butt and was very cold! Getting through that took the better part of the morning and by the time I hit the real road it was already after noon. The afternoon was spent walking a paved road up to the summit of Mt. Van Hovenberg, which is the old Olympic bobsleding mountain from when Lake Placid held the winter olympics. It was kinda cool to see all that stuff still up there...until it rained some more

I took lunch on a rock overlooking all the mountains I have yet to climb. And then it rained some more. The rain finally let up and there was a patch of nice trail. Nice trail (any trail) comes along so rarely that it really sticks out when it does. I passed by Marcy damn and up to Avalanch Lake.  The trail at Avalanche Lake is a jumbled stretch of boulders around the side of the lake.  It took a while to make it the .5 around the lake with all the hand over foot climbing, butt sliding, and rock hopping involved. 

Tonight I'm camped at a lean-to at Colden Lake. It is absoutely freezing.  I don't anticipate much sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment