Wednesday, May 20, 2015

May 14th, 2015

Today's miles = 20
Total ADK miles = 131.7

My sleeping bag zipper broke and I am only able to pull the zipper down and not up. I had to develope a system to get in and out at 2am this morning when I had to pee. At this time I looked at the thermometer which read just barely over 20 degrees. It was another night of almost no sleep for me. It stayed cold the entire morning. I was hiking in most of the gear I brought with me. The first part of the day was decent hiking but it was pretty muddy in some spots. The trail followed Cold River for the whole morning and eventually crossed it later in the day on a suspension bridge that marked the halfway point of the trail.

I took lunch at a whirepool spot of Cold River called Big Eddy and washed a few things in the water and dried out my socks. Monkey went for a dip. The water was a bit too cold for my taste. The rest of the days hike was rather uneventful and a bit muddy with some significant blow downs on the trail. I set up for the night at a beautiful camp spot right at Long Lake (yet another gorgeous lake camping spot). I am tired and sure as hell feeling the miles today. I am out of food so I ate some split pea soup broth for dinner.  That is going to have to hold me over until tomorrow when I go into Long Lake to pick up a resupply box. I believe I have 7 miles in the morning to get there. Urgh...I'm so hungry.

Oh, there was also some crazy beaver crossing we had to do where the trail had been completely taken over by beaver water. And I got to see my first beaver of the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment